Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Tuesday Mailbag

Thanks to everyone who wrote in. Some of the top questions about Gmail voice and video chat from the past few weeks:

Q: I can't hear the other person, but they can hear me. How do I fix this?
A: Your sound output device may be muted. On Windows, go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices, and click the "Advanced..." button. Make sure the mute checkboxes for both "Master Volume" and "Wave" are not checked.

Q: When I go to Gmail Settings -> Chat, I just see a "Detecting devices" message. How do I fix this?
A: This issue should be fixed in the recently released 1.0.3 version.

Q: On my Mac, I don't see my video or my friend's video. How do I fix this?
A: Some Mac incompatibilities were fixed in version 1.0.3. One issue remains where PostgreSQL, if installed, can use up all the system's shared memory. You can workaround for now by stopping PostgreSQL or changing its shared memory usage. We expect to have a fix for this in an upcoming release.

Q: Do you support the macam camera driver?
A: macam is not supported in version 1.0.3. However, we expect to release a fix for this shortly.

Q: Is a Linux version available?
A: Gmail voice and video chat is not currently available for Linux. If you would be interested in testing a Linux version, you can sign up at https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pYZOS6WEwfd2dhlZI2m_bRQ.

If you have a question that's not answered here, please check the Gmail voice and video chat FAQ, and if that doesn't answer your question, feel free to email me directly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - just wanted to notify you that I published a link to your linux spreadsheet on the ubuntu forums under Jaunty Jackalope Testing and Discussion; hopefully the people that register from this forum would be the people initially alpha and beta testing the Videochat plugin anyway!

And here's a link to the subforum if you'd like to give feedback: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=352